Monday, October 12, 2009

As a Boat

by Conrad Altmann


Oh God, I long to go sailing,
For to bear my cargo true.
But You know that I am wary,
To plunge in and follow You.

So shape me as a boat, oh God,
A bastion straight to lead.
For I fear that I will drift too far,
And land upon the beach.

Craft my vessel thick and broad,
For to persevere the storm.
And lead my loved ones through, oh God,
To protect them til the morn.

May I steer the currents high, oh God,
With a rudder wise and true.
But if that would fail to navigate,
Let my virtue follow through.

For what would lead me off, oh God,
Fill my sails to billow forth.
With gusting winds of loving faith,
To keep my ship on course.

May I captain honestly, oh God,
And feel every timbers' sway.
May I earn the faith of my family,
That on Your loves' course I will stay.

So cast me from the pier, oh God,
Reassure my fears anew.
Will the seas to send me far,
To islands strange and new.

Grant courage to hold my own, oh God,
On the eve of troubled seas.
I will boldly face the swells for You,
For You put Your strength in me.

And when You dock me high and dry,
You'll direct me in to land.
Show me where to build Your home, oh God,
While leading me by hand.

And when Your house is built, oh God,
Instruct me how to pray.
To lead my wife with strength and love,
And remind me where I lay.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment